Share the article
What is the power consumption of my air conditioner and how much will I get off the electricity bill if I run my 1 ton air conditioner for 5 hours? If you have these questions in your head, you've come to the right place. In this article, we will look at the power consumption of an air conditioner, whether it is 1 ton, 2 ton, 3 ton, and we will also look at ways to reduce AC power consumptionsave some electricity bill.
Before we start calculating the power consumption of your AC, let's take a quick look at a few factors that increase the power consumption of an AC.
Factors affecting AC power consumption:
- Number of people in the room:The human body emits a lot of heat, a room of 20 people will need a larger air conditioner or more to cool the air inside, while the same room of 3 people will get the same cooling for a smaller air conditioner or just one. AC So more people means more energy and therefore more electricity bills.
- Outside temperature from inside:At an outside temperature of 40 degrees Celsius, more energy is required to cool a room than at 32 degrees Celsius. Likewise, more energy is required to cool the room to 18 degrees than to cool it to 24 degrees Celsius.
- The size of the room:Air conditioners extract heat from the air in the room. So the larger the room, the greater the volume of air in it and the more electricity is needed to cool that air. The power consumption to remove heat from a 100 square foot room is less than to remove heat from a 200 square foot room.
- Devices in your room:Every device in your room generates heat, which raises the temperature of your room and causes your air conditioner to do extra work to cool the same volume of air, using more energy.
- Amount of air to be cooled:We often leave closet doors open, which increases the volume of air that the air conditioner has to cool. Now your air conditioner also has to cool the hot air in the closet, which is unnecessary and requires extra energy.
- Items in your room:Any solid object in your room will get cold if kept in an air conditioner. This is another unnecessary cooling that your air conditioner has to do.
Calculate the energy consumption of an air conditioner using its label:
The easiest way to calculate AC power consumption is to use the energy saving label on your air conditioner.
If you look at the AC energy efficiency label, you can see the annual energy consumption of your air conditioner.
Here I took the energy saving label from a 1 ton SplitAC Blue Star.
You can clearly see on the label that the annual power consumption of this 1 ton AC is 589.99kWh. This value is calculated under test conditions with 1600 annual operating hours.
what translates into4.5 hours of operation every day, 133.33 hours of use per month, which I think is the average daily use for most households.
The actual value will be higher than this value due to the outdoor temperature higher than the test conditions and our inefficient AC usage habits.
This is the easiest and most accurate way to find an air conditioner that uses less electricity.
If your air conditioner is old and doesn't have an energy saving label, you can use the following method to calculate the energy consumption of your air conditioner.
When you buy a new air conditioner, come visit ushttps://mannix.com.au/product-category/evaporative/To choose more varieties of AC.
Calculate the power consumption of an AC manually:
To calculate AC power consumption manually, you need to know the following three things.
- The power of your air conditioner - Wattis the unit of power. Yot denotes the rate at which a device consumes or produces electricity.For example, a 50 watt electric fan consumes energy at the rate of 50 watts per hour, but this does not mean that the electric fan is consumed50unitsElectricity means it consumes 50 watt-hours of electricity.
- business hours -Number of operating hours of your device, in this case the air conditioner.
- Stromtarif – The electricity tariff is the amount that your electricity supplier charges for one unit (kWh) of electricity.I live in Mumbai, India, here the electricity price is 12 rupees/kWh. Simply enter the electricity tariff for your region into the calculator.
To understand the calculated result, you need to understand the following term.
- kilowatt hour - kilowatt hour (kWh)a.k.a units is the power consumption of a device. For example, a 50 watt electric fan running for 50 hours uses 50 watts x 50 hours = 2,500 watt hours = 2.5 kilowatt hours of electricity =2.5 units of electricity.
As a general rule of thumb, consider the following when calculating AC power consumption:
- 1 ton of cold = 1000 watts
- 1.5 tons of cold = 1500 watts
- 2 tons of cold = 2.00 watts
- 3 tons of cold = 3000 watts and so on.
Now use the calculator below to calculate your AC power consumption.
How to interpret the calculated result:
Whatever value you get, just multiply it by two because your air conditioning compressor is only running 50% of the time, whether it's your traditional air conditioning system or notAC inverter.
So if you have 4kWh of electricity, the actual power consumption is half of 2kWh.
The calculated result is an average value and increases when the outside temperature is high (e.g. 40 degrees Celsius) and the inside temperature is very low (e.g. 18 degrees Celsius), and decreases when the outside temperature is low (such as 32 Centigrade). Centigrade). degrees Celsius) and the internal temperature is 22-24 degrees.
You get a value that is only 5% inaccurate,but if you want to know the exact power consumption of your air conditioner, there is a way for that too.
Calculate the power consumption of an air conditioner with the Kill A Watt Meter:
If you want to know the exact power consumption of your air conditioner, the most accurate method is to use a Kill-A-Watt meter.
Mata a un vatímetroIt is a simple device that can be used to get accurate results on the power consumption of any device.
You can buy it on Amazon using this link.Best monitor for power consumption by Kill A Watt
To calculate AC power consumption, first plug the AC plug into the wattmeter, then plug the wattmeter into the outlet and turn on the AC power.
Then start the air conditioner and you can see in real time how many kWh (units) of electricity your air conditioner is using.
For household appliances that have a compressor, such as an air conditioner, refrigerator, it is advisable to read up3-7 Taketo get the exact power consumption.
So keep the air conditioner plugged into the Kill A Watt Meter all week and make a note of the final reading at the end of the week. This way you will get the most accurate value of your AC consumption.
Check out this incredibly helpful video by Tech Guy Charlie where he calculates the power consumption of 1.5 tonsAC inverterusando Kill A Watt Meter.
Tips for reducing AC power consumption:
- Define AC me 24 degrees Celsius:We often cool our surroundings well below what is necessary. Always remember that the idea of an air conditioner is to cool your room down to a comfortable temperature.Temperature (22 - 26 degrees Celsius) does not freeze to death.
- Turn off devices when not in use: Usually 5-10 units are running in a room when the air conditioner is running.Even the smallest device emits heat that can heat up chilled air quickly,Therefore, make sure that you completely turn off household appliances that you do not need and, ideally, remove them from the room.
- Close doors and windows:An air conditioner extracts heat from the air and cools it down, when you repeatedly open your bedroom door a cool warm flow of air enters the room that needs to be cooled. AlsoIf there are cupboards in your room, keep them closed, otherwise the air inside the cupboard will also get colder, which means absolutely unnecessary power consumption.
- Keep the compressor and air conditioner in the shade: Convince yourself of itAC does not receive direct sunlight,If you get direct sunlight try to avoid that area, or otherwise try to avoid sunlight. AlsoKeep the compressor unit in the shade.
- Annual air conditioning maintenance.: Have your air conditioner checked annually by a professional.refrigerant leak, defective compressor,low coolant levelThis can increase the power consumption of your air conditioner and affect the cooling performance. Therefore, you should check your air conditioner at least once a year.This will surely give your air conditioner a longer lifespan and maximum efficiency.
- Clean your AC filters:A dust-filled filter acts as a barrier to airflow, leading tolow airflow and makes the compressor work harder to pump fresh airThis increases the consumption of AC power. Therefore, keep the air filter clean.
You can read this detailed article belowThis is how you save on the electricity bill thanks to air conditioning.
If you are planning to buy a new air conditioner, check out the list below of the most energy efficient air conditioners available in 2020.
The 5 Most Energy Efficient Air Conditioners You Can Buy in 2020:
- Convert 1 ton 5 star inverter Split AC: Annual electricity consumption 617 units in one year for 1600 hours of use.[Amazon-Link]
- Blue Star 1 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC - Annual Electricity Consumption 599 units in one year for 1600 hours of operation.[Amazon-Link]
- LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Dual Inverter Split AC: Annual electricity consumption 835 units in one year for 1600 hours of use.[Amazon-Link]
- Converts 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC: Annual Electricity Consumption 892 units in one year for 1600 hours of operation.[Amazon-Link]
- Daikin 1.8 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Inverter Split AC: Annual electricity consumption 989 units in one year for 1600 hours of operation.[Amazon-Link]
Conclusion on AC power consumption:
Most of today's air conditioners with energy-saving stars and compressors with inverter technology do not consume much energy.
Neither does 1 ton of air conditioningInverter or non-inverterconsumes about 0.5 - 1electricity unitevery hour depending on the operating conditions, which is not much considering the pleasant cooling experience that air conditioners offer us, especially during the hot summer.
References for AC power consumption:
Share the article