The cake values integrity and transparency. We follow a strictpublishing processto provide you with the best possible content. We may also earn commissions on purchases made through affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. Find out more on ourAffiliate Disclosure.
Loneliness can sometimes feel like eternal existential dread. Writers such as Albert Camus, Jean Paul Sartre and Franz Kafka have written novels that deal with this feeling and what it says about being human. So it's safe to say that loneliness as a state of being has been around for years.
Jump to these sections:
- The best sad songs about being alone
- The best uplifting songs about being alone and being happy
- The best rock songs about being alone
- The best country songs about being alone
If you're literally at a loss for words or just don't feel like reading existential philosophy, you can listen to melancholy tunes. Music can touch our hearts without words, so when you're feeling down and alone, put on some music to help you through this time. You might even want to share a playlist and aVoucher gift do Spotifywith a friend who feels the same way.
The best sad songs about being alone
Sadness is a universal emotion, as is loneliness. Here are some tracks you might love no matter what mood you're in.
if you want sadmiss songs about someoneor songs about being aloneThose are the ones you need.
1. "How to Fight Loneliness" by Wilco
Excerpt from the 1999 album.summer teeth, Wilco frontman Jeff Tweedy begins this melancholic song with a list of tips based on the title. It's a pessimistic number that will inevitably do the opposite, but maybe make you feel better.
2. "3 AM" by Halsey
This is a song from their 2020 album,Manic.Halsey says she wrote the song one night after calling everyone on her phone out of sheer loneliness.
3. „I Want To Get Better“ von The Bleachers
Written by the singer after his sister died of cancer, this is a touching song to escape from loneliness and feelings of depression.
4. „Still Breathing“ macht Green Day
You may be struggling right now, but what matters is that you're still breathing. So take a deep breath.
5. "The Bishop's Knife Trick" von Fall Out Boy
Fall Out Boy's tone can generally be described as genuinely upbeat pop-rock, but as this latest hit from their latest album reminds us, they can also be sad.
6. „Friend Please“ von Twenty One Pilots
Long before Twenty One Pilots became famous with albums likeblurred face, they wrote raw piano-oriented songs like this.
7. "Heavy" for Linkin Park
The raspy vocals and slower electronic beats on "Heavy" marked a departure from the metal tone and screaming that are characteristic of Linkin Park. Unfortunately, this was the last single to be released before frontman Chester Bennington died by suicide.
8. "Bite the Hand" by Julien Baker, Phoebe Bridgers and Lucy Dacus
Three independent singer-songwriters teamed up for a short EP calledChicogenwhere does this song come from This first song begins with the three ladies singing about an inevitable lack of love.
9. "Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles
A classic for lonely people around the world, this song asks important questions: where are they from? where will they go
10. „The Scientist“ macht Coldplay
One of Coldplay's great melodic piano hits, you're almost certain to have a hiccup party every time this song starts.
" FORWARD:Grief can be lonely. Create a space for your community to share memories and tributes with aFree online cake memorial.
The best uplifting songs about being alone and being happy
If you want a soundtrack for a funeral,songs about deaththere might be more up your alley. However, if your loved one liked the happiness of loneliness more than the pain of loneliness, some of these songs might be great to play.
Here are some of the most uplifting songs about being alone and having fun:
- "Thank You Next" by Ariana Grande
- "Battle Song" by Rachel Platten
- "22" by Taylor Swift
- „Single Ladies“ von Beyoncé
- „Held“ von Mariah Carey
- "I Want to Dance With Someone (Who Loves Me)" by Whitney Houston
- "One is the Loneliest Number" by Three Dog Night
- "Lonely Feelings" by Bob Marley and the Wailers
- "Tears Dry Themselves" by Amy Winehouse
- "Hotel of Broken Hearts" by Elvis Presley
11. "Thanks Next" by Ariana Grande
The long-awaited single "thank u, next" was an inspiring glimpse into Ariana's tumultuous past with her exes. Some have taught her great lessons, but she's glad she switched to someone else.
12. "Fight Song" by Rachel Platten
This song insists that no matter what knocks records down, they'll pick themselves up and get back on top.
13. "22" by Taylor Swift
22 is one of the strangest ages. From loneliness to hanging out with friends, it can be an awkward in-between phase.
14. „Single Ladies“ von Beyoncé
With an iconic and unforgettable opening line, Beyoncé captured the spirit of singleness and more. It's the perfect song to listen to after a breakup, especially if you're a die-hard Beyonce fan.
15. „Held“ von Mariah Carey
Carey won a Grammy for this inspirational song from her 1993 albumMusic box.
16. "I Want to Dance With Someone (Who Loves Me)" by Whitney Houston
One of the most popular songs in Houston, this song gets played at every dance party, wedding, whatever; People will probably get up to dance to this song.
17. "One is the Loneliest Number" from Three Dog Night
Famous for 70's songs likejoy for the worldThe band shares timeless advice like three is better than two.
18. "Lonely Feelings" by Bob Marley and the Wailers
Judging by the title of the song and the band, it's hard to imagine this song being uplifting. But as far as songs about loneliness go, it really is.
19. "Tears Dry Themselves" by Amy Winehouse
All it takes is time. As a hard-working singer, Winehouse knew all about the rollercoaster ride that her emotions can sometimes take.
20. Elvis Presley's "Hotel of Broken Hearts"
Who better to ease your feelings of loneliness than the king?
The best rock songs about being alone
Need a little sadness mixed with heartbreak? Let a little rock seep into your loneliness. Maybe even help lift it.
Here are some of the best rock songs about loneliness:
- "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" von Green Day
- „Here I Go Again“ von Whitesnake
- "Mond" von Bright Eyes
- "Longe do Sol" von 3 Doors Down
- „Dancing on Your Own“ von Robyn
- "Your New Double Bed" by Death Cab for Cutie
- „Ask the lonely“ von Journey
- Lonely is the Night by Billy Squier
- "Leave Me Alone (I'm Alone)" von P!nk
- „Tea for One“ von Led Zeppelin
21. "Boulevard of Shattered Dreams" by Green Day
A favorite from the album.American idiot, this song captures what loneliness feels like: watching an exhibition of broken dreams go by.
22. „Here I Go Again“ von Whitesnake
Categorized as a "power ballad," this upbeat '80s song helped define post-breakup freedom and sadness.
23. „Mond“ von Bright Eyes
Conor Oberst, known by his stage name Bright Eyes, writes some seriously sad lyrics for "Lua." "I can be my best friend," he sings while telling the story of trying to meet someone.
24. „Longe do Sol“ von 3 Doors Down
Crossing the line between rock and metal, this is perfect if you don't like soggy, lonely songs.
25. „Dancing on My Own“ von Robyn
There's nothing wrong with feeling lonely from time to time. It is natural. In this song, Robyn regains that feeling by dancing alone.
26. "Your New Double Bed" by Death Cab for Cutie
Tragic and despondent, this song features frequently on a number of Death Cab for Cutie albums. The leading man recently moved his queen-size bed to an alley because he no longer needs it.
27. „Ask the lonely“ von Journey
Travel the winding road of yourslimitsThe album is so moving that it is hard to forget.
28. "Lonely is the Night" by Billy Squier
A 1981 rock classic, Squier sings about how being a rock star is a lot lonelier than you might think.
29. "Leave Me Alone (I'm Alone)" von P!nk
This song received critical acclaim in both the rock and pop worlds. It's about how you can feel incredibly lonely, but still want to be alone.
30. „Tea for One“ von Led Zeppelin
A little-known track from their 1976 album.Present,It's a song about how long it takes when you're alone.
" FORWARD:An online memorial is a perfect way to honor and celebrate someone's life.Create one for free.
The best rap and r&b songs about being alone
Rap and R&B aren't always introspective genres. However, these tunes hit the spot.
Here are some of the best R&B songs about loneliness:
- "Nice" by Eminem
- „Solo“ von G-Eazy
- Akons "Lone"
- „Inglorioso“ von Tyler the Creator
- "I Can't Let Go" by Anthony Hamilton
- „Kill Me Softly With Your Song“ von Roberta Flack
- "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boyz II Men
- "Anytime" von Brian McKnight
- "At any time?" through liquor
- Lizzo's "Soulmate"
31. "Nice" by Eminem
Eminem initially talks about depression, but by the end of the song he manages to express a bit of optimism for the future.
32. "Solo" von G-Eazy
A popular song from their album.Large,G-Eazy talks about jealousy and the pain that comes with loneliness.
33. "Lonely" by Akon
We are all human and sometimes we don't learn until it's too late. In this song, Akon wishes he had treated his girlfriend better so she wouldn't leave him.
34. „Inglorioso“ von Tyler the Creator
Tyler's debut album focused on the loneliness he felt when his father left him. This song is a moving culmination of those themes.
35. "I Can't Let Go" by Anthony Hamilton
Hamilton, a classic R&B singer, talks about the difference between "I won't give up" and "I can't give up" when it comes to pain and loneliness.
36. "Killing Me Softly with His Song" von Roberta Flack
Maybe you know the Fugees version of this melancholy and sad song. Lauryn Hill does her best to pay homage to the original.
37. "It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday" by Boyz II Men
Rarely is a song so versatile. But this nostalgic choro song has been used at graduations, funerals, and more.
38. „Any Time“ von Brian McKnight
Sometimes you miss someone and hope they still think about you from time to time...even though it's unlikely.
39. "Never?" through liquor
This 1998 hit was the follow-up to a dramatic duet between Brandy and Monica entitledThe boy is mine.
40. Lizzos „Soul Twins“
This song is the result of Lizzo visiting a medium. The medium told her that she should get married, so Lizzo wrote a song about it.
The best country songs about being alone
The country genre conquered loners andsad songs. Here are some of the best country songs about loneliness:
- "I Don't Call Him Dad" by Doug Supernaw
- "Seven Spanish Angels" by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson
- "What Hurts Most" by Rascal Flatts
- "Go Up That Mountain" by Vince Gill
- Whiskey Lullaby by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss
- "Today My World Fled" by George Strait
- „Sissy-Song“ von Alan Jackson
- „Last to Know“ von Reba McEntire
- "Crying For Me (Wayman Song)" von Toby Keith
- "A Picture of Me (Without You)" by George Jones
41. "I Don't Call Him Dad" by Doug Supernaw
Being the child in a divorce is one of the most difficult and lonely places to be.
42. "Seven Spanish Angels" by Ray Charles and Willie Nelson
Charles and Willie Nelson capture the story of a couple in love and sing about a young man who says goodbye to his lover because he faces a battle he may not survive. When she does not survive, her lover takes his own life. It's Romeo and Juliet but with a country accent.
43. "What Hurts Most" by Rascal Flatts
This is one of the biggest singles from this group of countries, despite being one of the saddest.
44. "Rest on this mountain" - Vince Gill
This song was written based on two tragedies. Gill began the song in response to Keith Whitley's death. However, the song was left unfinished and not performed. When Gil's brother died, he was finally done.
45. "Whiskey Lullaby" by Brad Paisley and Alison Krauss
Although it was written in 2004 and deals with content not typical of country music, it's still a classic. This song about a double suicide is incredibly sad, especially if you're a fan of Paisley or Krauss.
46. "Today my world fled" by George Strait
Strait bred some tears in the late '80s. This song, about how a man feels alone after his final divorce, is one of them.
47. "Sissy's Song" von Alan Jackson
Jackson has been a staple of the genre for so long that he's experimented with many themes. One was the death of his housekeeper, Sissy, who was a dear friend.
48. „Last to Know“ von Reba McEntire
A country music mainstay, McEntire sings about being the last person to realize a relationship is failing.
49. "Cryin' for Me (Wayman's Song)" von Toby Keith
Wayman Tisdale was a jazz musician and basketball star. He also knew Toby Keith. When Wayman died, Keith worked through his feelings by writing a song.
50. "A Picture of Me (Without You)" by George Jones
This 1972 classic is perfect for anyone who has lost a loved one, whether through breakup or tragedy. The narrator insists that if his beloved imagined life without the most important things, she would know what his life is like now.
" FORWARD:100% Free Online Obituaries.Honor a loved one beyond a newspaper.
Curate a soundtrack
Art is meant to help you process feelings. When you're trying to heal and recover, putting together a therapeutic playlist is a great idea. If you like pop, rap, or prefer a mix of all genres, the songs above are a great start for your personal soundtrack.
If you're feeling lonely and need advice, keep reading our guidesHow to counteract loneliness in old age?jCoping with loneliness after a loss.